Dawson’s story

September 7th, 2008 by Mary Dawson-Cole

Dawson Thomas was born Jan 23rd 2008. He was born at 29 weeks. He was airlifted from Sudbury to Women’s College Hospital 2 days later. He was delivered early as I was sick with high blood pressure, Preclapsia. He brought us so much joy. He did very very well. He had a few bad days, but he grew so fast. In no time he went from 2 pounds to just under 5lbs. Watching him progress was both scary and amazing.

I would spend hours just watching him. His dad would read to him and I would watch them both together and longed for the day to take him home. Everyone we knew prayed everyday for us to take him home. Countless phone calls were placed home to let Grandparents and family know his every development. The day before Dawson got sick, mommy bathed him and put him in his cot and thanked him for a perfect day. We were only days from coming home. We were awaiting a transfer to Sudbury and were out of the NICU. It hardly seemed possible. All the parents, nurses and doctors said he was doing great and would be home in no time. Parents would say how lucky we were and it was amazing his breathing was so good. Then, on March 13th he got NEC. He was transported to Sick Kids and underwent surgery. His little body just couldn`t recover. Our beautiful baby died on March 15th. Not a day goes by that his dad and I don`t miss his beautiful little face. Our precious boy was truly a gift and we will never forget him. Thank you to everyone who supported us. Thank you for letting me share our story. Every time Mommy sees a butterfly she thinks its you coming to visit. Each day on this earth, is one day completed before I see you again. Love Mommy and Daddy.

One response to “Dawson’s story”

  1. Marlon says:

    Hi Dr. Ayers -I have been trying to get off my fat-free, gletun-free, vegan diet for the last few months since I discovered your site. I have been on this diet for 8 years due to inflammatory arthritis. While it has kept my flare-ups at bay, it has left me grossly underweight and suffering from decalcifying bones and teeth. I just can’t seem to incorporate the full-fat yogurt without the painful arthritic flares. I have also been eating leeks and sunchokes for the inulin content. I must be going about this the wrong way. Am I starting with the wrong foods? And is there a specific order and quantity that I should be going by to add back these foods? Would taking a cortico-steroid with new food be a good way to add things back? Sorry for my ignorance, but I’m just so discouraged by my lack of progress. Jeff A.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *